Many people look at sites such as Swagbucks and think... "That's a scam, they just want my email address". Unfortunately you would be right, but not for Swagbucks! Swagbucks is an American based company that offers users and account holders discount codes for well known brands as well as giving the opportunity to earn cold hard cash for providing market research surveys. Yes, you give them an email address, but you control how your details are used, you don't need to fill out surveys if you don't want to.
So... Can you actually make money from Swagbucks? The answer is yes, there are plenty of ways you can earn cash or gifts from the platform. You are paid SB's (Swagbucks) every time you fill in a survey, or use their shopping links. But you can also use Swagbucks to get discount codes on major retail brands. All the ways you can either earn or save money using Swagbucks are below:
- Using Swagbucks default search engine powered by Yahoo: You can earn SB's just by search your queries on the dedicated Swagbucks search engine, you don't need to make it your default browser, you can access it from your Swagbucks account directly.
- Completing online surveys or polls: Time-rich but poor-cash, not the most effective way to use the platfrom.
- Download new apps & games recommended by Swagbucks: Get the newest apps and games, try them out and earn SB's.
- Shop online and earn cash back: Using Swagbucks referral links to major shopping sites could earn you hundreds of SB's when buying things.
- Get free discount codes using the Swag Extension: The Swagbutton browser extension allows users to get notifications to your screen when shopping on sites that offer discounts to Swagbucks users, you get 50sb just for installing the extension.
- Completing daily goals: When you become a SwagBucks user, you will get a to-do list with some recommended tasks, every task you complete is money in your pocket, and if you complete all the daily task you get a bonus.
- Entering Competitions: You can gamble with your SB's to win gadgets or even more SB's.
- Play games online or on your phone: You can get paid to play on your phone, if you find a Swagbucks hosted game that you like, you can get SB's to play it. This isn't the most lucrative way of earning cash.
- Sign up for services: Signing up for free trails and free subscriptions can earn you massive rewards, you just have to remember to cancel when it stops being free.
- Watch videos: Although it is not a common option for Swagbucks users, if you are accepted onto the program you can earn money to watch video content online.
- Invite your friends to save money: You can refer people to use Swagbucks and earn 300sb straight away, then a recurring 10% of whatever that user earns. With that in mind, if you want to support our website, you can sign up to Swagbucks using our referral link and get 50sb just for signing up!
For future reference throughout this article you should know that I use Swagbucks as well as the SwagButton chrome extension, and most of the examples are going to be from my account. Also, 100SB = £1/$1.
Looking at the table below, these are some of the basic rewards you can earn from Swagbucks. They offer gift cards from almost all major retailers including Tesco, Walmart, Apple, Microsoft and M&S:
|£10/$10 cash through PayPal||1,000 SB|
|£10/$10 Amazon Gift Card||900 SB|
|£10/$10 iTunes Voucher||850 SB|
|£5/$5 Starbucks Voucher||700 SB|
How Much Money can you Make with Swagbucks?
Based on the statistics on the Swagbucks website and my own experience, users can expect to earn around £1 to £3 per day if they actively use the platform. However, just by using the browser extension or scanning receipts to claim cash back offers and discount codes, users can save well over £500 per year just on household shopping, it is not uncommon for people to break the £1,000 threshold.
Daily Earning on Swagbucks
Daily earnings can vary between nothing to over £100, but a couple of quid is most common when you spend around 15-20 minutes on the platform per day.
Lets have a look at the daily tasks Swagbucks recommends I complete and how much I could earn by completing them:
- Answer a daily poll: 1 SB
- Upload a receipt for a purchase either online or in-store: 4 SB
- Attempt and complete a survey: 150 SB on average
- Complete SB earning goal for the day: 3 SB
- Discover offers like sign ups or free newsletters: 30 SB
- Watching 3 videos: 5 SB
- Bonus for completing my daily tasks: 30 SB
So, if I were to complete all my daily tasks which I have done before, it takes usually 30 minutes, but it is quite engaging, I would earn a whopping £2.23!
That might not sound like a lot, but remember, we are all about the big payout. So over the course of 1 year, if you complete your daily tasks, you could earn yourself a payout of £813.95, for no stress, and very little work. This is obviously not including all the cash back, discounts, and extra rewards you might pick up along the way.
If you're like me and you want lot's of money really quick, you could follow the steps in the next stage which could boost your earnings to 10,000 SB, or £100.
How to Make £50 Quickly using Swagbucks
Making £100 on Swagbucks isn't as easy as you might think, it can take a bit of time, but it can be done.
This process will take about a week to complete because you'll need to wait for all the new daily challenges and offers. So let's begin:
- Complete all the free deals in Discover offers: 1,000 SB
- Print 50 grocery coupons every day for 7 days: 350 SB
- Refer as many friends as you can: 300 SB per referral
- Have those referrals instal the SwagButton browser extension: 100 SB per referral
- Watch all the video sets for 7 days: 450 SB
- Complete all of your daily goals for 7 days: 1,560 SB
- Make your first purchase using Swagbucks: 1,000 SB
- Redeem 2 Swag Codes: 100 SB
- Play Swagbucks Live everyday: 300 SB
- Use the Swagbucks search engine powered by Yahoo instead of Google for you browsing needs: 200 SB
If you only refer 1 friend to use Swagbucks, the total number of SB's you will earn from your weeks work is 5,360 SB. Which is roughly £53. However, if you have more friends than me, your earning potential is untapped. If you refer 10 friends, and they all install the browser extension, that's £40 in your pocket!
Notice how I didn't include any extra survey completions? Like I said, you don't have to complete any surveys if you don't want to. The only surveys I do, and not very regularly are the ones recommended on my daily tasks, because they pay the highest.
How does the Swagbucks Platform Work?
First things first, you're going to want to head over to Swagbucks through our referral link here! Then set up your account to get 30 free SB's.
They will ask you for your, name, age, general location like a city, and your email address, I would set up a separate email address to your personal email. Once that is done, you can set up your password and you get your reward. This is what you'll see when you first get into your account:
You can see you are already getting offers from Amazon, Microsoft and Coach. But to get the most out of the platform, you'll first want to complete the tasks in the bar at the top, (the one that says 65%). This will get your account automated, so you will earn some of your daily rewards automatically, and your referrals will all be accountant for.
The platform is very easy to navigate, and other than the initial set up, you don't have to input anymore personal information, other than a PayPal address if you withdraw your cash.
The Only way you can Make a Living on Swagbucks
Yes using Swagbucks everyday can make you money... Yes using Swagbucks when shopping can save you loads of money... But the only sure fire way to make a living on Swagbucks is to do all of that, and get referrals!
Most of us will enjoy saving a few quid on our Christmas shopping, but all of us would like to earn passive income from a website we barely use. Getting referral, and I don't mean just from friends can be a great way to boost your monthly income. Not only will you receive the 300 SB just for someone else signing up, you will also receive 10% of their SB's directly from Swagbucks, so it's a win win for you and your referral.
By posting your link to Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, or your own website/YouTube channel, there is a potential for hundreds if not thousands of people to click your link and sign up. That's what we call in the online business world as... Affiliate Marketing!
This is what I'm trying to do. I have used Swagbucks for years now and I finally have an outlet where I can promote my experience and hopefully get others on the platform to start saving money. If you want to support my website while also making some cash of your own, sign up to Swagbucks below:
The SwagButton Toolbar Browser Extension
Once you have an account with Swagbucks you'll be able to install the browser extension. This is the main way I save money by using the platform.
I always forget to look for discount codes or cash back offers when shopping online, I just search for what I want and buy it. With the SwagButton I rarely buy anything without a friendly message saying that I can get an item cheaper by using 'this discount code' or that I can 'claim cash back on this item'. Not only does the system do it automatically for me, I save money on things I wouldn't have previously.
This is what happens when you're shopping and Swagbucks sees an offer for you on a website:
I was planning on buying a new laptop for my Brother for Christmas, and Swagbucks managed to save me money on it... How cool is that!
Not only do you get cash back when using the SwagButton, you also get 25 SB whenever you make a purchase while using it.
Can you Save Money on In-Store Purchases?
Yes you can. You can upload a picture of your receipt into Swagbucks and the AI on the platform will read where you made the purchase, what the items are, and how much you paid for it. It will then search it's databases for deals you could have used to save money or get cash back.
If Swagbucks finds an offer you could have used to save money, or a discount code you could have used, it will credit your account with the amount of SB's you would have earned if you had used that offer.
Then if the purchase is eligible for any cash back, you will again be credited the amount into your Swagbucks accounts. You can save money online and in-store without even trying.
Which Retailers are on Swagbucks?
Swagbucks have over 1,500 retailers currently on their database, and it is steadily growing everyday. The most notable are, Apple, Amazon, Currys PC World, Walmart and Tesco.
If you are ever in the situation where you are about to purchase something online, and you don't have the browser extension installed, you can simply search from your account home page for the retailer you are purchasing from and Swagbucks will bring up all the relevant offers.
Making money on Swagbucks can be time consuming, which is why I would recommend to anyone on the fence about signing up, just think about the savings you could make on your shopping, even if it's only once a year. Saving money is just as good as making it!
Do I have any Complaints about Swagbucks?
Yes I do, but they are only minor:
- Swagbucks sometimes offers surveys or questionnaires to me that I don't fit the target market for. So after 5 or 6 minutes of filling it in, I am rejected from the final questions meaning I only get rewarded for the participation, which is significantly less than the completion rate. This is why completing surveys is not where I spend most of my time on the platform.
- The Swagbucks Yahoo web browser isn't as powerful as Google's. Unfortunately Google is better than Yahoo. However, I don't use the Swagbucks browser as my default, I simply use it on the account. If I'm logged into my Swagbucks account and a question crosses my mind, I will use the search engine. Alternatively, I also use the Swagbucks app on my phone for search queries, but again, not as good as Google.
- You can only withdraw cash in round numbers. When I first started with Swagbucks it took me ages to get to the £10 withdrawal limit, now because I use it on all my online purchases it fills up quite quickly. But it can be demoralising at first when you aren't getting paid your rewards. If you could withdraw £5 I would, but £10 is only around the corner.
- You have to manually update your email preferences. I hate getting emails, but Swagbucks don't really care, so you have to go into your account, all the way to settings and switch off all the email preferences from the list. It should just be an un-subscribe button at the bottom of the email.
Like I've said before... Saving money is just as good as earning it! I think Swagbucks offers a really simple and easy to use system to help people saving money or claim cash back on their everyday purchases.
Yes, the system started as a marketing survey site, but now with the movement towards better AI, Swagbucks has been able to provide people with discounts never seen before.
Disclaimer: Don't let the sight of SB's cloud your reasoning, and lead you to spending money you wouldn't usually spend. Swagbucks is a way of saving money on things you want or need, not things that reward you with SB points! Keep that in mind when searching for new offer, you only purchase things you need!
With all that said, check out Swagbucks and see if you like it, supporting this website by using our referral links is a massive help, and now you can benefit from using it as well, with 30 SB points on arrival.